Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Happy Birthday SDSU...

Much has happened since my last post which was close to the beginning of the semester. January has come and gone, and along with it memories and good times (which were had by all). Those who read regularly know that I said in the begininning of this blog, that I wouldn't update on a regular basis and as a man who is "not gonna lie," I had to hold true to myself.
Today was the official 125th anniversary of South Dakota State University and a spectacular (if not almost too flamboyant) gala was held in the Student Union to celebrate the occasion. Notable guests included Jim Woster, President Peggy Gordon Miller, and others. Pretty much the only reason I went was to watch and listen to SDSU Jazz Band I, which was to say the least, pretty darn good. Also, a new flavor of SDSU ice cream was unveiled, "Campanile Crunch," and it was... interesting to say the least. It consisted of a vanilla ice cream base with assorted crunchy items, (sounds pretty normal so far) such as corn, sunflower seeds, peanuts, wheat, and cashews. Anyway, music stuff has actually been going pretty well, I've discovered that the more I practice, the happier I am, and consequently the happier Dr. Crawley is when I go in for my sax lessons; who'da thunk? Speaking of sax, I will be quitting the tasty, yet deadly metal mouthpiece for a Berg Larsen hard rubber piece. Delicious. Finally, I went with some members of both jazz bands to the Dakota Jazz club in Minneapolis, MN (link here) to see the Charles Mingus Big Band. In short, it pretty much ruled. Despite my naive attitude towards semi-formal food, dinner went ok. I ordered what I assumed would be some type of beef stir fry, but turned out to be four tiny appetizers for about $9.00 after 18% gratuity (yeah). All in all, some great music, good food, and a rememberable time. To close, I quote the great Conan O'Brien: "Stay cool my babies."

1 comment:

Jack Thoreson said...

Well it didn't have actual whole kernels of corn in it, but I heard that corn was involved...